Hospice of Gold Coast Offers a Helping Hand With Bereavement
Experiencing the death of a loved one is always difficult. Unfortunately, it is something that each of us will have to face in our lifetime.
Grief is not a sign of weakness or a lack of faith but rather a normal reaction to loss. Grief is an emotional, spiritual and physical wound that takes time to heal. Grieving takes time because we must mourn each facet of the lost relationship that made it special.
There is no right or wrong way to grieve, nor is there a set time frame in which mourning must be completed. Grief can be resolved by dealing with feelings openly, by going through the pain and finding a new focus for life.
Our program offers:
- Someone to talk with who cares and understands how difficult your loss can be.
- Someone who can direct you to individual or group support meetings.
- Someone who can give you information about programs on the grieving process and referrals to help the healing begin.
- Someone who can help you begin the recovery process by making the necessary connections.
Grief Support Groups are important.
Hospice of Gold Coast believes that one of the best things you can do for yourself while grieving is to attend a grief support group. Support groups can play an important role in mind/body healing by offering a safe place to express the painful feelings of loss.
Pain that is blocked from being expressed keeps wounds from healing and prevents us from moving forward. Support groups offer a caring environment where people understand one another's pain, share similar feelings, and discover ways of coping with problems that have resulted from the loss.
Participants in support groups discover they are not alone on this journey and that they can survive the roller coaster of grief feelings. Support group meetings are led by professional counselors and bereavement specialists. Meetings are offered in structured and unstructured formats at various locations throughout the community.
Hospice of Gold Coast's Grief Support Program
Joining Hospice of Gold Coast's Grief Support Program provides a variety of "connections:"
- With the Hospice Team members who helped you through the death of your loved one.
- With your feelings of loss through healing rituals, meetings and guidance.
- With information on what constitutes normal grief and how to heal.
- With others who have suffered similar losses.
- With the tools that enable you to work through the pain of grief and strategies for recovery that have worked for others.
- With community resources that can provide needed opportunities to try out new roles, make new friends and develop a new sense of independence.
- With our annual memorial service where you'll meet caregivers and others who have experienced a loss.
Support services are available to all grieving family members and friends of our Hospice patients, and to members of the community, regardless of age, creed, race, color, sex, handicap or national origin.